Last Updated: February 2017
If you are not fully up to date with Kurzweil, certain Windows updates may break the Kurzweil 1000/3000 install.
If this occurs, K1000/K3000 will function as an expired Trial or Demo version of the software and all functions will be locked. The only solution is to uninstall K1000/K3000 and then reinstall it.
Examples of Windows updates that may cause this issue:
- Windows 7 to Windows 8 or Windows 10
- Windows 8 to Windows 8.1
- Windows 8/8.1 to Windows 10
- Windows 10 to Windows 10 SP1
The Windows 10 Anniversary Update does not seem to cause this problem. More information on compatibility for Windows 8 and Windows 10 can be found here.
You'll need to be logged into your computer as an Administrator user.
1. Uninstall Kurzweil 1000/3000 as normal in Windows. Use your Control Panel > Programs and Features to uninstall Kurzweil 1000/3000. Follow the prompts to uninstall the software. If you are on Windows 10, go to: Start Menu > Settings> System > Apps and features; and then select Kurzweil 1000/3000 in the list > the Uninstall button.
2. If you are using Kurzweil 3000 v15 and seeing this issue, download/install from the latest full installer for K3000 here: https://www.kurzweiledu.com/k3win
3. If you're using K3000 v12*/v13/v14, install the software from our latest downloadable build for these versions instead of the older DVD media. This will ensure what gets installed is the latest version with all updates and patches already applied.
*Please note that K1000/K3000 v12 is not supported on Windows 10, v13 and higher is supported.
4. If you're using K1000, it's best to use your install DVD and then update to the latest version that you own. For a download link (v14 only) or replacement media for your software, please contact Customer Service.
5. The last step is to re-install. If downloading Kurzweil, run the install file for the version you downloaded after it finishes downloading, then follow the prompts to install the software. For more install help, we have install videos here.
- If you're using an older version of K1000/K3000 not listed above, your only option may be to install from the DVD or CD media. Please note that these older versions are not supported to run on Windows 8 and higher and may not function correctly.