Last Updated: September 2016
Applies to all versions of Kurzweil 3000 (Win)
The scanner is not working properly with Kurzweil. Your scanner may fail to initialize or Kurzweil may crash during the scan process. Kurzweil may also not stop scanning or only scan the first page.
Before attempting troubleshooting, it is best practice to make sure you have the latest update/patch for Kurzweil 3000. Click here for more details.
1. Make sure Kurzweil is not open.
2. As your scanner may be locked up, please power off your scanner and power it back on, then reboot your computer and continue to step 3.
3. Open the following folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Kurzweil Educational Systems\Diags - If you cannot find the Program Files (x86) folder, check in C:\Program Files\Kurzweil Educational Systems\Diags instead.
4. Open the ScanConf.exe application by right-clicking it and selecting "Run as Administrator". If you do not have this option, please check with your IT department if you are at a school or work site, otherwise launch normally.
5. At the top-left section of the active window, there is a selection field used to select the scanner devices installed on your computer. Select all the choices listed there one at a time and check the "Ignore this Scanner" box for each one.
6. After ignoring each scanner available, go back to the list and select the listing that also has the (TWAIN) option. You want to uncheck the "Ignore this scanner" box for that device only. In other words, you want to ignore all scanner listings but this one. The (TWAIN) option is typically the most compatible driver. You may have more than one listing that has (TWAIN) in the name, please select the listing for your scanner that only has (TWAIN) and the name of the scanner if possible, i.e. : Epson GT-1500 (TWAIN)
7. With the TWAIN driver selected and not ignored: Change "Hold Scanner" to Never, and "Simulate Xfer Ready" to Always On.. Click the "Done" button to close out of the "Scanner Configuration" window.
8. Launch K3000 and select Scan -> Scanner Setup -> Select Scanner -> and then select the (TWAIN) driver to initialize.
9. Try scanning with Kurzweil. If you still have issues, it's best to contact technical support.
Last Updated: September 2016
Applies to all versions of Kurzweil 3000 (Mac)
The scanner is not working properly with Kurzweil and/or the scanner is not being recognized by Kurzweil.
Please note: K3000 Mac requires a scanner that has the Image Capture driver available (ICA). If you are looking for a scanner for Mac that will scan with K3000, Epson and Canon are usually the best bet for compatibility.
Note: If your scanner is not compatible with Kurzweil, you can always scan in images as .pdf or .tif files using your scanner's bundled software, and then open the scanned files directly inside Kurzweil. If you are scanning multiple pages, it's best to use the multi-page option before starting your scan.
Before attempting troubleshooting, it is good practice to make sure you have the latest update/patch for Kurzweil 3000. Click here for more details.
1. If the scanner is not working properly with Kruzweil 3000 (Mac) Try the following solution below:
2. Install the full ICA (Image Capture Aware) software package for your scanner, it's typically best to download the latest version from the manufacturer's website instead of using the install disc that it may come with.
3. After the software is installed, try scanning through Applications->Image Capture on your Mac.
4. If this works, there is a good chance it will work in Kurzweil, close out of the scanner software.
5. Attempt to scan via Kurzweil.
If scanning works in step 3 but does not work in step 5, try the following solution below:
1. Close out of Kurzweil
2. Uninstall the scanner's software by going to the Applications folder and dragging the scanner's software to the trash, or running the uninstaller if it has one.
3. Remove the scanner's USB cable from the computer
4. Go to the Hard Drive/Library/Image Capture/Twain Data Sources folder
5. Delete all of the .ds files that you find there (Please note that this will wipe out any scanners you may have installed on your Mac)
6. Go to the scanner manufacturer's website and download the latest ICA scanner driver package
7. Install the downloaded driver package making sure you follow the steps from the scanner manufacture's website
8. Reboot the machine
9. Plug in the scanner and wait for it to initialize
10. Try scanning through Applications->Image Capture
11. If successful, close Image Capture.
12. Try scanning once more in Kurzweil.