Kurzweil 1000 →
Kurzweil 1000: How Do I? →
Guide to updating / patching Kurzweil 1000
3.1. Guide to updating / patching Kurzweil 1000
Last Updated: April 2015
Applies to Versions: Kurzweil 1000 v9.xx or greater
Always update Kurzweil before you attempt troubleshooting
Before you attempt any troubleshooting steps or contact us for technical support, it's always a good idea to make sure your version of Kurzweil 1000 is updated. A troubleshooting solution may not work if you're using an outdated version. Often you may find that simply updating Kurzweil (i.e. patching) will address your problem.
The easiest way to update Kurzweil is through its built-in updater: on the Kurzweil 1000 menu click Online -> Updates... (Alt+N,U) and follow the prompts to download and install the latest update (i.e. patch) found by the auto-search.
Tips for using Kurzweil 1000's built-in updater
- If you use Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8, a security feature called User Account Control (UAC) will prevent Kurzweil's built-in updater from functioning. This means that before you can use the updater, you must either turn off UAC in Windows or right-click (Shift+F10) the Kurzweil 1000 shortcut on the desktop and select Run as Administrator.
- You can find out what version of Kurzweil 1000 you have by choosing Help -> About (Alt+H,A) in the Kurzweil 1000 menus. This will open an About window, which will provide details regarding your version, such as "Kurzweil 1000 Version 13.01".
- Sometimes an organization's network firewall or proxy server will cause the auto-search in Kurzweil's built-in updater to fail and return an error. If this is the case, it is recommended that you download any available updates manually from our website's Patches and Updates page (http://www.kurzweiledu.com/downloads_k1000_updates.html).
Tips for downloading and installing patches from our website
- If you are downloading and installing a patch from our website, do not attempt to install a patch for versions of Kurzweil 1000 you do not have installed. For example, if you have Kurzweil 1000 v12 installed, do not try to install any of the v14 patches. Doing so may break your installation of Kurzweil 1000.
- Any Kurzweil 1000 patcher that you download should be run using escalated permissions on Windows Vista/7/8. To do this, locate the downloaded patcher on your computer, right-click (Shift+F10) and choose Run As Administrator.